Saturday, August 18, 2012

Why Travel?

Why Travel?

In a nutshell? Because it's my dream :-)

People have different things they enjoy in life and different goals and dreams. For me, travel has always been something I wanted to do.

During my last year at high school, one of the classes I took was Tourism. I failed a test because of one questions:

'List 5 countries that you would not want to visit, and why'.

I could honestly not think of 5 countries I wouldn't want to visit. Given the chance, I'd like to see everywhere!

* (In earnest, I explained this to my teacher, who laughed, said she would give me 5 points for enthusiasm if she could, but I'd need to make up an answer to pass!)

At my high school graduation, everyone went up on the stage and the headmaster would read out what they were planning to do. I remember looking at them and instead of feeling inadequate, I thought to myself "In 10 years time at our reunion, I might not have a fancy degree like some of you will have, but I will have seen the world."


However life had other plans for me, as it often does. I got really sick the first year out if high school, had to drop out of my course, leave my job etc. I was quite down about life- mine at 18 was far different than I dreamed.

Then I stumbled across a site on the internet for short term nanny jobs overseas. Within a few weeks, I had found a 3 month job in Tanunda, Barossa Valley, South Australia with a lovely sounding family. Yahoo!

It was the best thing I had ever done for myself my entire life. Going to live in another country, all on my own, to live with a family I had never met...wow!

Being away really made me grow up. I came back a stronger, wiser young woman. A better friend, a better partner, a better daughter.

There's something about being taken completely out of your surroundings, leaving everything you use to define yourself behind, good-bye routine, hello adventures, a whole new world of experience to explore...that makes you find out who YOU really are.




One of the picturesque views from where I stayed

When I got back, I found I was infected with the travel bug. I couldn't wait to go somewhere else again! Being in with a family was an amazing experience too- rather than just see the sights of this new place, I got to see the culture first hand as well.

Life had more twists and turns for me. Soon after arriving back, Chad and I became 'parents' of a sort when a younger friend of mine moved in with us and we became her guardians.

Being the guardian of a 14 year old girl is quite an experience I must say! People would tell me "Oh, you're such an angel to do that for her!" but to me there was no question. I had known her for years, loved her like a part of my family, she became my family. During this time, Chad and I really came together. He has a great sense of family, loyalty, and looking out for one another. Because Learne was my family, he considered her his family, no questions asked. He took on the responsibility of 'parenting' her with no doubt, his whole heart in.

After completing the first year of my course, I decided to work and earn some money for our wee family. We soon found out our family was going to grow- the pitter patter of little feet was expected!
The wedding bells rang, my belly grew and we prepared for the birth of our first child.

Charli-Rose was born in September 2008. A beautiful, bonny girl who lights up the hearts of everyone who knows her.

Motherhood for me came with a hard price. Along with my dream come true in the form of my wee girl, I went through a harrowing time post-natally. I was diagnosed with severe Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD*), Anxiety, and Post-Natal Depression (PND).

(*Most people I've talked to know about Anxiety and PND but not PTSD. Here's my quick definition; imagine the worst thing that has ever happened to you. Your worst nightmare, the thing that's effected you most, that tears you up inside. 
Now imagine having that same thing happening over and over again. You relive it every time you close your eyes to sleep. And during the day, it intrudes on your mind. 
EVERY single night.
EVERY single day.
Not surprisingly, this turns into a nasty mental illness, attacking your sleep, personality, resilience, relationships, and trust in the world.)

What followed was the hardest 2 years of me and Chad's life. Months spent in hospital. Years spent at home, living as a shadow of the former me. Many medications and therapies, we tried anything to help. Yet soon after going up, I would crash back down again. Even with everything we tried, and everyone who helped us.

In the end, the one thing that put the downward spiral to a halt was going away on holiday. We went to spend a bit over a week with Chad's family up in the North Island. I hadn't spent much time there before and it was so great to explore somewhere new.

Also, being away from 'everything' helped us see our life together in a new light. We worked out the things that were wrong and making things worse, and worked out the things that were going well and helped.

After we got back, it was still a long while til I was well again and mostly symptom free. However that holiday was the start of going up, of healing, of really getting well again.

Travelling for me...it's amazing. It's life changing. It's healing, it's exciting, and it's one of the great spices of life. Chad isn't quite as passionate as me but he does like seeing new places and everyone loves a holiday. Though as I pointed out to him- going travelling with me isn't a 'holiday', it's an adventure :-)

- Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment