Friday, August 31, 2012

Almost home!

Most of our journey home is over!

The flight from Las Vegas to LA went all to schedule, much to our relief. It was also a relief when we landed safely as it was the bumpiest, hardest plane flight I've ever had. The poor woman in front of me was afraid of flying. She held hands with her partner over the aisle (they were seated apart) for most of the trip- SO CUTE!!!

Me, I love turbulence. It's like a free disneyland ride.
All fun and games til you remember you are in a plane, thousands of feet in the air, and you can die. When the plane started making funny noises, then stopped suddenly, and the plane leaned forward then started dropping...eek haha!

Back in LA we had a 7 hour wait.
Because LAX is such a big, busy airport, there are different terminals and a handful of airlines share each one.
In my pre-travel wisdom, I had assumed a day at the airport would be wicked fun- I mean come on it's LAX!!! We ended up stuck in this shitty Air NZ terminal which had only a few shops, and old worn out chairs. It was overcrowded and very stuffy. Suddenly it seemed like a loooong 7 hours.

That's when being a parent helped. Parenting gives you the gift of patience. This whole trip, I have never felt that a wait has taken too long, even when we've had 3 hour delays. You just breathe through it.

Plus, since having kids, time spent on your own waiting for things doesn't become an annoyance, it becomes a gift. I used to get annoyed if the doc was running half an hour late. Now, as long as the kids aren't there, I tell them not to hurry- it's some special down time to hang out and catch up with old magazines!

I really enjoyed the 12 hour flight back to NZ, and even the wait at the airport. 7 hours to myself plus another 12 on the plane with my own wee TV screen? I can't remember the last time I got to watch one hour of uninterrupted TV or reading time, let alone 19!

While waiting there in the airport, I realised how different I felt than when we started our advneture. Back on the first plane trip, I said I hadn't realised how exhausted I was. I felt grey, with a bottomless pit of tiredness in me. Like I could sleep for 3 days and still be tired.

Now, I felt revitalised and relaxed.
Like...like sunshine.

Maybe I haven't fixed everything by going on this trip. Maybe things will still be hard. But I've got my shine back and that's worth everything :-)

* By the way, I totally get that this blog has been rather egocentric. Chad has had a great time too he's just not as hippie/emotional about it as I am ;-) And besides, he's a man of few words. His contribution;  "It was awesome."

Is it horrible to say that we didn't miss the children?

There have been pangs for them, especially when we see other little ones. But I think we hid the missing part away because we knew we couldn't see them (except on Skype).
Now that I know we are close, so close, to going home and seeing them, my mother instincts are going mad. I was *this close* to asking an Asian man sitting next to us if I could borrow his baby.

I have missed them, my two wee angels, but not the work that comes with them (if that makes sense?) But now I can't wait to have them in my arms. I'm counting down the hours...Mama is on the way my darlings!!! With a suitcase of presents and weeks worth of bear hugs and kisses for you!



As for everything else, where to from here...well I don't know. I'm totally freaking out. But I've just gotta take each day as it comes. Each HOUR really.
Am I going back to the hospital?
Am I gonna be able to cope if I don't?
How will I be different?
What will be the same?

It feels a bit like this...



But seeing my little girls faces makes it all OK :-)

A few more hours and we'll finally be home!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment