Sunday, August 19, 2012

1 Night to Go!

Oh my goodness, it's come around so fast! In 24 hours we will be on the plane on our way out of Auckland to Los Angeles!!!

My head is spinning, Chad feels the same way. It's hard to believe this is actually happening, we are almost there!

We are all totally organised, which is quite a foreign feeling to me- I'm more of a 'leave it to the last minute' kinda gal. But no, the bags are packed, paperwork organised, the cameras battery is charged, and the final countdown is on!

Debbie assures us that she's not nervous about looking after the girls. She's ;ooking forward to it...gosh we are so lucky to have such a wonderful person who's bonded so well with the girls.

Lots of people say we are 'lucky' to be going on this trip. Yea we are, I guess, but lucky isn't the word that comes to mind. 'Lucky' people aren't abused as children. 'Lucky' people don't have mental illness rip their family apart. 'Lucky' people don't spend months in hospital, literally getting discharged hours before the trip. In the last 6 1/2 months, I've only spent 3 weeks at home.

I wouldn't say Lucky is the right word. We are determined. We kept our dream alive. We worked hard for it, and never let it go, even in the times when one or both of us were sure it would never happen. We managed to keep a bit of the magic that you feel as a child when anything is possible and the world is your oyster.




I do feel guilty for leaving my girls for the week and a half. Even the 12 hour plane flight is the longest I will have been away from Baby Lilabelle.
Geez us mums feel guilty about everything though, don't we?!
I kinda figure, I'm not a working mum. Chad and I have never been away on holiday from them before. They get me at home 365 days a year. 10 days isn't much in a life time!

It will be weird without them there. We've had someone else to look after for the last 5 years...what on earth will we do with just us?!

I'm sure we will miss them terribly. We plan to skype them every night or morning (if our technology agrees lol) but to be honest they will probably be having such a good time they won't even miss us!

Tomorrow I'll be discharged from the hospital after a meeting about 10am, then we'll head home, load the car,and be at the airport super early.



Things we're most nervous about:

* Coping on the long flight
* How the girls will cope without us
* Getting through customs OK with all our paperwork
* Driving over there


Most looking forward to:

* That moment when we finally step out the plane, into LAX, when we are finally THERE.
* No children waking us up during the night!
* Walking on the Santa Monica beach and looking up at the sky, remembering a year ago when I looked down at that spot through google earth and wondered what it would be like to get there, how proud I'd be of us.
* The weather!

It's been a bit of an emotional day here at the hospital. The nurses who have been really close to me were on tonight and it's the last time I'll see them. Cue tearful hugs and emotional speeches all round!

I don't known where we'd be without the wonderful staff here at PMH. Some of the nurses I've spent most of the week with for the last almost 4 months. While some of the team here were quite reluctant about me going (to the point of officially saying they didn't want me to go and we had to sign a waiver thing saying we agree to the risks of ignoring their advice), the nurses who have worked closest with me are so excited for me.



One nurse especially, I think she's more excited than I am, LOL! They can see how good this is for me. They've seen me fight for this. They've seen what I've been through the last almost 4 months and that I never let this go. It's a proud moment all round :-)

Well with that I guess I am signing off for the day. Next stop- the airport, then get ready USA because here we come!!


Picture Credit

No comments:

Post a Comment